The Freedom Train. Seattle, Washington - 1976. Photo by Rich Love
Southern Pacific 4449 was built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1941 as one of 26 engines of its type to pull the SP's "Daylight" passenger trains between Los Angeles and San Francisco. She remained in service until 1956 when she was retired. In 1957, she was donated to the City of Portland, Oregon and put into Oaks Park where she remained until 1974. She was removed from the park and restored to service to pull the Bicentennial American Freedom Train across the United States.
Freinds of the 4449
Trainland Portland Rail Fair 1996
The Daylight Web Server
Pennsy's Train Pictures
Macintosh terminal emulation for Wyse 50, Wyse 60, Viewpoint, DEC and Prism terminals.